Monday, April 16, 2007

Pictures "Before and After The Accident"


Neither of my two weddings could compare to my junior prom pic, May 1985.
That day, I felt truly beautiful, despite being a full-on anorexic and bulemic.
Say what you will about anorexia, it does make one a bit more "camera friendly."
So does having such yummy "arm candy" like I did that day.
Believe it or not, we were BOTH each other's "back up" date for the prom,
as both of our dates bailed on us at the last moment.


And here is my senior portrait for the yearbook.
What lies out of sight are my white cotton running shorts and bare feet,
as this picture was snapped while a friend and I were headed to do some
canoeing on Beaver Dam Creek.
I remember what I ate that day, as well.
Doritos with a grapefruit juice chaser.
I don't recommend that menu if you plan on canoeing on choppy water.


And here is what I refer to as the "After the Accident" picture, after
seeing such lovely pics, the ONLY surviving pictures of
my teen years.
This is the picture which serves as an epilogue to the other two pictures
featuring me as a healthy LOOKING anorexic and bulemic.

I can't help but think folks think of that joke:
"I am still a bulemic, I just am too lazy to puke anymore."
Only the joke isn't effective, as I never was one to binge,
then, or now.
Yet, here I am... weighing in at twice what I weighed
in those first two pictures.
And if need be, I can still vomit at will.

Remind me again, how or why I should NOT feel like a failure?

Even chubby, middle-aged gals have vanity and pride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't undereat anymore, but I know I'm not cured of my body image issues. My wife can go on about how I was too thin way back then, but I look at the pictures and I look great.

I still see the same woman in the 'after' picture, though.

You're still alive and still trying - that's not nothing.

teabird said...

Ditto.