Monday, December 19, 2011

Need a New Habit

Really have to get myself out of the habit of being awake all hours of the night, despite the fact that's when I feel most alive and creative, during the part of the day when most of the world (or at least in my time zone, that is) is asleep.

The longer I am up, the more calories I consume as a result of my pattern of eating every 3 hours.

I need to start getting into the habit, to mentally prepare to relax. Debating the merits of taking a hot shower after dinner, switching to herbal (or at the very least, peppermint) tea rather than drinking coffee, and popping a melatonin for the first few days to get me into the routine.

There's not all that much on t.v. I find fascinating, so it's not like I'm up watching t.v. I'm usually up online, chatting, surfing, playing games etc, and finding it harder and harder to get to sleep, and finding that my weight loss progress has stalled.

This needs to change.

TONIGHT.

1 comment:

mb. said...

I got into the up-all-night habit w/an old dog who needed to go out every four hours or so. Once I had stood in the blasting cold with him for five or so minutes I was WIDE AWAKE & just getting back to sleep in time to let him back out again. My doctor (I love having a GP!) suggested a mini-wind-down routine to do every time & this is what I did: when we walked out, I turned on the electric kettle, when we got back in I poured the water from the kettle & the water from the tap into a bowl so it was very warm but not piping hot; I soaked a cloth, wiped my face, wiped my hands. Then I put on wireless headsets & played one chapter from Gift From The Sea or A room of ones own or something restful, unlikely to aggravate me (so Eat Pray Love was out!) very very faintly, lay down in a dark room & would not permit myself to get involved in anything else until that disc/track/tape ended. It took three nights & then I invariably fell asleep within minutes of going back to bed & actually had the most wonderful, restful sleep.

I don't have PCO but I do have endo. I understand what it is to feel like your body is fighting you. good luck, whatever you do.