Last Thursday was a triple threat Thursday.
First, I finally got myself into a hematologist for a consultation on my FVLM. Personable guy, much more so than I imagined. The consultation was consistent with most of my interactions with doctors, I show up early (and to my surprise, they had a cancellation and got me in earlier than my scheduled appointment--SCORE!), and I had questions prepared.
Granted my questions ran somewhat "scattershot" from one extreme to the next, all an indicator that I'm reading up, not only on the FVLM, but the affects of my dietary supplementation on my blood chemistry, as well as my joint issues (which range from chondrocalcemia and borderline gout or pseudo-gout).
My first question was innocuous enough, regarding how (if at all) my particular blood viscosity might impact or skew my blood chemistry (answer: not at all). I had concerns regarding my RBC and hematocrit being elevated (apparently the hematocrit is skewed because my testosterone was elevated--so at least I got something useful to take my worrying down a bit!). Once I got to the last question regarding the chondrocalcemia in my knees I inquired if I were at risk for hemochromatosis, and it was with THIS question the doctor very sweetly smiled and said, "You need to stop reading."
Another goodish thing to come of the hematologist's office visit: the weigh in. Mind you, due to pain issues, I haven't gone to my endocrinologist since August (won't see him again at this rate until February), and I've had a lot of anxiety about getting weighed. Due to not walking as much as I normally do, I've felt lethargic and bloated and thinking SURELY I have gained more weight. The weigh in showed that I was within 1 lb of my normal range. I'd like to shed some weight before my February visit with the endocrinologist, and feel a bit confident that it's even possible. I just need to sleep more and eliminate my late night snacking.
Ever since the middle of August, I have been having severe, acute pain issues with my knee, with a lot of referred pain in the form of trochanteric bursitis and pain in my low back.
On 12/9/16, I started getting Synvisc injections in my (right) knee, and I started walking with a cane, either at work (where it also serves as a prop to convey that I have "issues") as well as on days I'll be walking a LOT. Well, Thursday 12/15 was A LOT.
After the hematologist, I managed to head off to a yarn store, then get a slice of pizza, as my next appointment was at 2 p.m. Even with a cane, by the time the day was over, I managed to have hoofed roughly 4 miles--and not with any additional pain or discomfort (well, pain or discomfort beyond the very tips of my long toe on each foot being tender).
My next appointment was a follow up with the kidney doctor, who I see twice annually for management of my blood pressure. The appointment was enjoyable--always is with this doc. I had some questions prepared about wanting to get tested for hyperoxaluria, hemochromatosis, as well as cystatin-c. The nephrologist asked me what I thought the first two things were, and when I answered him correctly, and we got to the third item, he said, "I know what you're looking for!" and he immediately added that test onto the blood sample taken at the hematologist's office.
I also had a question about the possibility of changing my diuretic to something that did not involve thiazides, as I wanted something that was a bit more therapeutic or even preservative of the renal function. All my chemistry is "rock solid stable" as the kidney guy said, and he made a good argument for staying on what I'm currently on and we'll change it if anything else changes.
It's exceedingly nice to be treated as a full participant in doing the differential on my health issues.
After the kidney guy, I managed to have some time to make a quick trip to Kalustyan's to pick up some necessary items (as well as a few gifties), before heading to the last appointment of the day.
And the last practitioner I saw to round out my Thursday Trifecta was the travel clinic, where I went to get an update on my typhoid vaccination and get a broad spectrum antibiotic (just in case) for my trip to India which is coming up.
4.4 miles. 23 flights of stairs. With. A. Cane.
First, I finally got myself into a hematologist for a consultation on my FVLM. Personable guy, much more so than I imagined. The consultation was consistent with most of my interactions with doctors, I show up early (and to my surprise, they had a cancellation and got me in earlier than my scheduled appointment--SCORE!), and I had questions prepared.
Granted my questions ran somewhat "scattershot" from one extreme to the next, all an indicator that I'm reading up, not only on the FVLM, but the affects of my dietary supplementation on my blood chemistry, as well as my joint issues (which range from chondrocalcemia and borderline gout or pseudo-gout).
My first question was innocuous enough, regarding how (if at all) my particular blood viscosity might impact or skew my blood chemistry (answer: not at all). I had concerns regarding my RBC and hematocrit being elevated (apparently the hematocrit is skewed because my testosterone was elevated--so at least I got something useful to take my worrying down a bit!). Once I got to the last question regarding the chondrocalcemia in my knees I inquired if I were at risk for hemochromatosis, and it was with THIS question the doctor very sweetly smiled and said, "You need to stop reading."
Another goodish thing to come of the hematologist's office visit: the weigh in. Mind you, due to pain issues, I haven't gone to my endocrinologist since August (won't see him again at this rate until February), and I've had a lot of anxiety about getting weighed. Due to not walking as much as I normally do, I've felt lethargic and bloated and thinking SURELY I have gained more weight. The weigh in showed that I was within 1 lb of my normal range. I'd like to shed some weight before my February visit with the endocrinologist, and feel a bit confident that it's even possible. I just need to sleep more and eliminate my late night snacking.
Ever since the middle of August, I have been having severe, acute pain issues with my knee, with a lot of referred pain in the form of trochanteric bursitis and pain in my low back.
On 12/9/16, I started getting Synvisc injections in my (right) knee, and I started walking with a cane, either at work (where it also serves as a prop to convey that I have "issues") as well as on days I'll be walking a LOT. Well, Thursday 12/15 was A LOT.
After the hematologist, I managed to head off to a yarn store, then get a slice of pizza, as my next appointment was at 2 p.m. Even with a cane, by the time the day was over, I managed to have hoofed roughly 4 miles--and not with any additional pain or discomfort (well, pain or discomfort beyond the very tips of my long toe on each foot being tender).
My next appointment was a follow up with the kidney doctor, who I see twice annually for management of my blood pressure. The appointment was enjoyable--always is with this doc. I had some questions prepared about wanting to get tested for hyperoxaluria, hemochromatosis, as well as cystatin-c. The nephrologist asked me what I thought the first two things were, and when I answered him correctly, and we got to the third item, he said, "I know what you're looking for!" and he immediately added that test onto the blood sample taken at the hematologist's office.
I also had a question about the possibility of changing my diuretic to something that did not involve thiazides, as I wanted something that was a bit more therapeutic or even preservative of the renal function. All my chemistry is "rock solid stable" as the kidney guy said, and he made a good argument for staying on what I'm currently on and we'll change it if anything else changes.
It's exceedingly nice to be treated as a full participant in doing the differential on my health issues.
After the kidney guy, I managed to have some time to make a quick trip to Kalustyan's to pick up some necessary items (as well as a few gifties), before heading to the last appointment of the day.
And the last practitioner I saw to round out my Thursday Trifecta was the travel clinic, where I went to get an update on my typhoid vaccination and get a broad spectrum antibiotic (just in case) for my trip to India which is coming up.
4.4 miles. 23 flights of stairs. With. A. Cane.
No comments:
Post a Comment