Tuesday, February 28, 2017

My-oh-Myo-Inositol

As I mentioned in a previous post about a supplement my endocrinologist recommended to me (when I outright refused to go back on Metformin), I'm going to give myo-inositol "The Old College Try."

Of course, he doesn't make dosing suggestions, which would have been incredibly helpful, and online sources say you can take up to 4 grams daily, relatively safely.  

So I did some preliminary reading, and decided to buy about a 3 month supply of Now brand Inositol--the formulation is myo-inositol. 

Last Wednesday, I started taking the supplement. I got the 500 mg capsules, and figure I'll take 500 mg daily, and perhaps gradually work up to 1 gram (2, 500 mg doses).

Wednesday I took the supplement in the afternoon with my 5.5 oz V8 and my usual B1, B2, and B6 supplements. Since Inositol is casually referred to as "Vitamin B8," I figure I should do what I do with my B1, B2, and B6 and avoid taking it with coffee.  Wednesday evening, I felt relaxed, almost washed out, but relaxed (as you'd feel after a particularly taxing day at the office).

Thursday morning, I awoke feeling a bit hung over or strung out, as you would taking an SSRI.  Thursday afternoon, I took the supplement exactly as I did the day before. 

Friday morning, I awoke with that same feeling. Later on in the afternoon, about 2 hours after I took the Inositol, I had that trembly feeling I get if I ate too much sugar. I wouldn't say I had tunnel vision, but I felt particularly nervous, and a bit queasy, JUST LIKE my blood glucose dropping. Luckily a co-worker had some Skittles, which I wolfed down, and once I got back to my desk I hydrated and ate something with protein.

Saturday, I had the brilliant idea to see how much the Inositol impacts my blood glucose. I dug out my glucometer, and decided to do some sticks:

Before Dinner: 85
2 Hours Later:  83

I'm not really sure what to think about this data! And perhaps now that I'm taking a dose before dinner, perhaps I should do a finger stick test again tonight, as well as in the morning, to see if it impacts my glucose upon rising in the morning.

And in the interest of being thorough, I want to see if taking this for a long period of time (1-3 months) elicits anything in the way of noteworthy weight loss.

So for the record, the starting weight I will use for this experiment will be: 205 (the weight at the foot doctor today--a weigh in for which I was not prepared!). 

Notes: Five days into this, and I feel like even a dose of 500 mg, 1x daily, impacts my anxiety levels--I feel very relaxed (almost lethargic, almost washed out), and no problems drifting off to sleep  

No comments: