Thursday, October 13, 2022

Day 91 Making Microscopic Adjustments

Three days ago was my regular six month check up with my kidney specialist. All looks as good as possible. My kidney function has maintained and in some regards improved, though there is still damage to my kidneys from all those years before my PCOS diagnosis and the related obesity. 

Some days I start to get down on myself that I haven’t lost as much weight as I had hoped, but i look at my markets for fatty liver and how that improved, and I think of how my bypass has helped stop the kidney damage from progressing, and that is more than enough to keep me from spiraling further into ruminating on what a failure I am. 

Things I hope to improve are:

Glucose: 105
EGFR: 76
HDL: 56
LDL: 134
TRI: 140

I am hoping the combination of walking more now that my hip was replaced, and I am starting yerba mate supplementation today might help those numbers improve. 

Yerba mate is just a tool in the tool box and not a magic wand to make everything perfect, and I know ultimately a lot of my improvements (as always, with other issues) hinges on a commitment to change and consistency. 

Since I’ll be tracking those other numbers, I am putting my current LFTs herein as a baseline, to see if there is any negative impact to the liver function:

ALP: 92
AST: 27
ALT: 21

It took well over a year before my LFTs returned to normal after that unexpected turn/crisis after my first shot of Pfizer triggering a bout of acute hepatitis. 

Who knows? Maybe the yerba mate might be a mood booster too. It is worth trying, plus Maharajah had a bottle of it on hand. At the very least it is a choice to make, an item to check off on my “things I tried” list. Only time will tell if it will help me achieve my goals. 

Next time I see the kidney guy, will be in April. Six months is more than enough time to see if the numbers budge. 

To be continued! 

No comments: