Tuesday, June 22, 2021

The Upper Endoscopy & Limbo

June 14th, I underwent an upper endoscopy to inspect my gastric pouch/stomach for any changes or damages after my gastric bypass from 10 years ago.

I am glad to report, the entire endoscopy went without any negative comment (other than being made to wait an hour beyond my scheduled appointment). The anesthesiologist was able to get the IV in my arm on the first try, no difficulty. I'm tired of mediocre phlebotomists leading me to believe there's something defective with my veins because they fail to get the IV in my arm. I made a point of thanking the anesthesiologist after the fact.

The biopsy from the endoscopy was delightfully boring. Nothing to see here (for once!).

The gastro recommended I schedule an appointment with a liver specialist at Columbia (as he, too, is with Columbia); however, I refuse to go into NYC any time soon (as I don't think it's necessarily safe), and the specialist has an office near me; however, the next appointment is for 8/28. 

Not wanting to wait until 8/28, I took it upon myself to find a liver specialist at a local hospital where I'm an established patient, and made an appointment with the Director of Clinical Hepatology for a consultation regarding the biopsy. That appt is set for 7/2. 

In the meantime, I've pared back my supplements, and have discontinued my alpha lipoic acid, zinc, and CoQ10, as they all might have been playing a part in the liver issue. 

In the meantime, I have to continue taking my two Rxs as my kidney guy says the hepatologist will be the one to determine whether I need to discontinue/change my two meds. 

In the meantime, I am anxious, depressed, full of rage, and tossing around the idea of finding a therapist to help me work through all the learned helplessness I developed as a trauma response with my mom (and others), as I have also identified I have issues with learned helplessness at work. And yet, the thought of starting over again with yet another therapist makes me recoil at the thought.

No comments: