Monday, March 26, 2012

KAL Brand Calcium Citrate (Chewable)

FWIW, I'm mostly a Citracal Petites gal (for tablets) and only prefer "chewy" type chewable calciums (Bariatric Advantage, Calcet are my fave chewies; and Healthy Indulgence by Hero brand dark chocolates are all quite good).

I normally do not prefer the disk/wafer type chews that are usually too tart and too big and sometimes too hard to chew... kinda like a big hard Sweet Tart candy. I tried Bariatric Advantage and I believe Twin Labs brands chewable calcium citrates, both of which were so tart, I couldn't choke them back.

KAL brand calcium citrate, at least in the mixed fruit flavor, are quite pleasant. Much more sweet than tart, more reminiscent of Sweet Tart candies than the other disk/wafer type chews I've tried.

My habit is to take at least two of my doses per day in tablet form, and 2 doses in chewable. I do this for two reasons: 1. Calories (despite it being a mineral supplement, they DO contain calories, so taking tablets cuts down on extra calories being consumed); 2. I like to have something sweet in the afternoon with my coffee, something to feel like a sweet treat. The Bariatric Advantage and the Calcet chews fit that bill. And for when I feel like I need a dark chocolate (and ladies, you know what I mean by NEED chocolate), the Healthy Indulgence dark chocolates are truly delicious--they taste like high quality dark chocolate rather than a mineral supplement.

No comments: