Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Oh Boya...

Found out that Goya makes these diet versions of their fruit nectars, which I have to admit, makes me intensely happy. I don't drink all that much fruit juice in general, tho I do have an unrelenting love of Spicy V8. But every once in a while, it's a nice change to have a fruit juice as part of a snack (the lead-in to the solids).

Among the varieties I got, I got the soursop. At one time in the 1990s, I was fascinated by a fruit called the custard apple (I think Aussie Moist at the time put it in their shampoos), and even managed to buy one at a high end market once. Little did I realize that soursop and custard apple are the same fruit. And out of the varieties of the nectars, it's surprisingly lowest in calories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soursop

Reading up the wiki on it, is a fascinating read. First off, there's a Hindu & Sri Lankan myth that Lord Rama and his monkey warrior Hanuman consumed this very fruit/juice en route to Sri Lanka (to rescue Sita from Ravana). So as I cracked the can open, but before I drank up, I muttered, "Jai Bajarang Bali!" (Hail Hanuman!)

Then there are two health related tidbits... one suggesting medical merit re: possibility of helping or preventing breast cancer; and one suggesting risk, that excessive consumption could contribute to Parkinson's-like lesions on the brain.

As with anything we ingest, a little bit of knowledge is power. Caveat emptor, and all that. Also a little bit of knowledge can ALSO be worrisome!

The juice? 25 calories and tasty. I think it was roughly .69 cents a can.

No comments: