Thursday, April 17, 2014

Maintaining

Nothing new to report. Or so I think.

The weight I gained while on the Cymbalta hasn't really seemed to come off, but no NEW weight gain, so I guess there's THAT. I just wish I could jump start the weight loss again. I'm trying to eat 1/2 a grapefruit a day, so hoping it helps burn fat, or boost metabolism or whatever.

I'm now about a month into the experiment known as physical therapy. I've been going once a week every week, though two weeks ago I had to skip a session and next week skip a session due to scheduling constraints. But for as little as I've done thus far, I feel different, physically. Perhaps in a few weeks I can explore a pilates class without harming myself in the process. 

Blood work drawn on Monday; accoutrements acquired for a 24 hour urine collection (good times). Perhaps sometime before my grand vacance I'll get around to doing the actual collection.

So, no new antidepressant or anti-anxiety medication. Been cold turkey off everything with the exception of an occasional cocktail for medicinal purposes.

And about that cocktail... 

Last Friday I hit my tipping point. I brought booze to my office, as I knew Friday would be a particularly horrible pain day (and it was, and it was also followed up by an even worse Saturday, which rendered me bed bound with a migraine). 

I think I'm ready to start thinking about a hysterectomy. According to my rough math, I'm losing 14-28 days a year due to the migraines, menses mess, and overall agonizing pain. Life is too short for this.

Of course, my mother is the poster child of ILL HEALTH, so I won't be using her as my case study for post-op hysterectomy progress. My mother-in-law, in stark contrast, is nothing short of awesome. Good overall health and lifestyle and mindset. So I'm hoping her recovery is a speedy one, and I hope she dispenses plenty of first hand knowledge of what her experience has been.

Bottom line is, pain sucks, life is short, and I don't want to be a burden to my husband or friends.

ETA: Six months later, and I am no closer to actually thinking about or considering a hysterectomy. And glad for it. I started taking B1 supplements, and it's helped quell some of the agonizing pain. Let's wait and see if it continues to diminish the pain over the long haul.

No comments: