Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Regarding Monday's Appointment With Physiatrist 4.0

[Some friends wonder how I manage to keep track of everything I need to do in order to get to the necessary appointments etc. Well. I blog herein as a matter of accountability and record keeping (especially for tracking progress!), I have reminders on my phone, virtual post-it notes on my desk top at work, and have a calendar that Maharajah and I both share and add appointments to, to keep track (and also involve each other, when necessary in appointments and plan-making).]

Monday's appointment with my current (now fourth) physiatrist (hereinafter dubbed P4.0) went much better than I anticipated. I actually managed to walk out of there with some hope and a preliminary plan of attack for the collection of issues I have.

Xrays were done at 8:00 and by 8:35, I was taken into the exam room for my vitals to be taken. By the time P4.0 was done with me, it was roughly 10:10 by the time I got out of the appointment.  Very pleased with the professionalism of everyone, and even more appreciative of the timing of everything, from how long I waited in the lobby until I was in the exam room, and thoroughly pleased with the level of detail the doctor went into during the examination.

Newest diagnosis: Greater trochanteric pain syndrome (plus a side dish of Morton's Neuroma). 

Also worth noting: Apparently my ass is weak. Like, at this moment in time, if I were to twerk, I'd probably hurt myself. Luckily, I live a life where twerking is outside of the realm of possibilities.

THE PRELIMINARY PLAN AS IT STANDS CURRENTLY:

Immediately:

1. RUMP/HIPS: An Rx for PT was given. I contacted the office of my preferred physical therapist, and I'm getting the same run around I got in AUGUST, where he's booked solid. Well, I don't want to wait to start working at something which will hopefully lead to me FEELING and BEING better. So I contacted my secondary place, and scheduled the consultation for 2/18, and also scheduled my next two appointments, to ensure I got the days and times conducive to MY schedule;

2. FEET: I scheduled an appointment with the P4.0's associate in NYC, who specializes in feet, so that doctor will tend to whatever is going on in my feet. Surprisingly, the Xray was not chock full of arthritis--this actually surprised me, because I have a lot of crepidation/granulation (or at least that's what it sounds like) when I walk or when I make circles with my feet. I have symptoms of a Morton's Neuroma, and on the Xray you can see bone spurs, and a weirdness where my bones are growing at an odd-ish angle. Also, my arches have fallen, and I no doubt have plantars fasciitis still. 

Not sure what to expect or anticipate from this appointment, but set it, as my theory is, my foot pain is causing instability in my gait, and as a consequence everything else (knees, hips, low back) is over-compensating as a result. 

Also worthwhile noting, I just got notification that the shoes I ordered from Orthofeet are out for delivery today, so I cannot wait to try them on and hope that my feet won't hurt so damned much when I walk in the interim;

3. KNEES: P4.0's office will contact insurance company regarding authorization for visco-supplementation injections (though, I am convinced it won't go through, because LAST year, they denied me, and even after going through a lengthy appeals process, they refused to cover it, despite the fact that we were assured when Maharajah's insurance changed, we were assured that the coverage was "identical," when clearly, IT IS NOT;

Rainy Day Projects/TBD at a Later Date:

4. LOW BACK: At some other point in time down the line, we are going to explore ablating the nerves in my low back, to manage the chronic, moderate/severe arthritis pain. P4.0 assures me that during her fellowship she learned a special way to do the ablation, which will slow down the rate of nerve regrowth. The mere idea of being able to go long lengths of time without pain, is almost unbelievable to me. Though I do have one friend who has had nerve ablation (granted, in her foot, I believe) and her results weren't so favorable;

5. ELBOW: This is a rainy day project at some point further out. I might actually bite the bullet and have PRP injection in my elbow. P4.0 mentioned how she could probably do it with just one injection (rather than multiple, pricier injections which my previous physiatrist was trying to convince me to commit to in 2017. 

So that's the plan so far!

The next three weeks (well, 2.5) of appointments line up thusly (which includes other self-care appts):

2/15: Weekly CBT
2/16: Chiro
2/18: Consultation with physical therapist
2/19: Weekly CBT
2/20: 1st appt w/physical therapist
2/22: Cardiologist & Foot specialist
2/23: 2nd appt w/physical therapist
2/26: Weekly CBT

As a direct consequence of the thoroughness of the examination and the capability of P4.0, I have cancelled my appointment with a neuro in NYC. There was a neuro portion of my examination, and I am sure that if I require to be referred out to a neuro, P4.0 has someone located conveniently within her office. So, brilliant! It actually helped me eliminate a redundant appointment!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a session on Headspace to listen to. 

PS: I'm especially mindful that as shitty as I think the medical coverage is, I am very very glad for the coverage we have at all, which is enabling me to get as much medical attention as necessary. I wish and hope for those Synvisc injections--but even if I cannot get them this year, if I can tackle some of my other issues, I'll be happy just to eliminate whatever aspects of my pain issues I can.

No comments: