Photo is from Sunday, which was a 1500+ footstep day.
Here it is, day 20 post-op, and I am getting burnt out on this stream of strangers (visiting nurse, physical therapist, occupational therapist) coming to the house. Everyday 1-2 of them are here. Then there is Friday. This week and last week we’re appointments with the surgeon to check on the incision.
I just want one day of complete rest, physical and psychological. Every timethey arrive, I am filled with dread (about exposure, COVID or monkeypox. They’re all masked, and my UV HEPA air purifier is running before, during, and after the visit, but still I worry.
The occupational therapist helped me install the mounting cleats for a grab bar for my shower, and he’ll be here tomorrow with the set goal of getting me to practice getting in and out of the tub so I can shower.
Depending on how Friday’s appointment with the surgeon goes, perhaps Friday afternoon I could be taking my first hot shower since the early morning of July 14th, the day of the surgery.
The physical therapist I prefer (there have been 2) will be here this afternoon, and he will no doubt have me down the stairs and outside for a walk, and I think once he leaves I’ll do my daily wash up.
In the meantime I am conserving my energy and focus—that statement in itself is laughable if you think of what I have managed to do so far this morning after taking my meds (fill water filter; brew tea for ice tea; fill pressure cooker with stuff for chicken stock along with eggs and carrots, literally 3 different things cooking at once; set out ingredients for cornbread & a black bean mango salad; and plans on putting a rack of marinated ribs in the slow cooker for dinner tonight). But in this moment I am drinking coffee, blogging, while the house is redolent with the aroma of chicken stock pressure cooking away.
It’s a good day.

No comments:
Post a Comment