Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Let No Good Deed Go Unpunished

So, let's say I know you eat a lot of smoothies etc, and you put chia seeds in them. Every day.

So, let's say I let you know that Chia has arsenic in it, and merely, prudently suggest that you get your blood levels checked for arsenic, as I am getting mine tested for the same reason (i.e. that I, too, eat chia, tho not on the same level of regularity that you do).

There's no judgment on my part, when I made the innocent, yet helpful enough suggestion. Most folks do not know that chia contains laetril, aka "Vitamin B17" which contains arsenic.

Sure, you may get your blood tested regularly for other things. And sure your blood comes up negative for arsenic. Why does it come up negative? Well, arsenic isn't one of those things that will suddenly and magically appear on a standard CBC/Smack. This is something that you have to actually intentionally have a specific test run.

Unfortunately, I realize I've "poked the crazy" with my good intentions, when I share a few links, and of course you have to have the last word... fine fine! and share a few links of your own... only for you to "come back" with, "... and I eat apples WHOLE every day."

Funny thing here is, the same doctor who is touting the benefits of Chia is Dr. Oz, the very same doctor who several months back put the fear of arsenic via apple eating into most of the US.

At this point, I realize my good intentions are falling on deaf ears. And that's fine. I'm cool with that. That's your prerogative. Live and let live. Eat your apples, seeds and all. Eat all the chia to your heart's content. But when your youngest child who has been eating and drinking everything you have been for the last several years ends up with neurological issues or learning disabilities or behavioral issues due to arsenic toxicity, you have no one to blame but yourself.

No comments: